Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mm-mm-mexican

I don't know if my love for Mexican food has grown as a result of my move to Tucson, AZ or if I'm just craving my weekly Tallahassee taco night at El Jaliscos. Either way, I love Mexican food--I mean, I really love it.  

Now, there are two things I absolutely adore: good, fresh salsa and tacos, of any kind--except for fish, I'm still not sold on that one quite yet. 

I must admit, I am no Rick Bayless. And when it comes to salsa I'm pretty sure he's the man. Okay, let me rephrase that: when it comes to anything Mexican food he's the man. I mean, just look at this delicious tomatillo salsa recipe and please, pardon my drool...


Building Blocks of the Mexican Kitchen: Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

I mean, need I say more?
I do? Alright, so the last time Rob and I made tacos we added this to our lean ground beef instead of that stuff you find in the little paper packets in your grocery store, and it was delicious! Much better for you, and really, much better in general...
The recipe below was inspired by Bill Echols (http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/taco-seasoning-i/Detail.aspx) and you'll see that the recipes are pretty similar. The major difference being we left out the onion powder and black pepper and substituted smoked paprika for the normal sweet paprika.
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 granulated garlic
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 and 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
Try this once, you'll love it! Until next time, buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment